The most iconic music event, Coachella, returns this year with an eco-friendly focus.
The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, or “Coachella,” will be held for six days in April at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California.
This famous music event, Coachella features musicians including Billie Eilish, Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat, and Harry Styles. This festival’s attraction is that it offers musicians from a variety of musical genres.
Many people from all over the world are attracted by the palm trees, the gentle breeze, and the way the festival itself lights up the sky. Therefore, about 100,000 people attend daily.
Now you may be wondering. How much waste do music festivals produce?
With large crowds come large problems. Modern music events have produced a ” huge amount of waste”. For example, the big ones like Stagecoach, Desert Trip, as well as “Coachella” generate waste worth 78 Boeing 747 jumbo jets every day. From food stands to $10 beer, festival-goers go through countless pieces of trash each day.
In order to be more eco-friendly, what plans does Coachella have for this year?
Coachella hopes to raise environmental awareness among all attendees in 2022 to reduce emissions, save water, and recycle garbage.
These are some examples of their actions :
- Raise awareness about the impacts of climate change.
- Reduce single-use plastic by replacing all beverages sold at events with “aluminum packaging”
- Setting up water refill stations at festivals.
- Employ a waste team at events to maximize recycling.
- “Reduce carbon footprints” by providing a shuttle bus.
- “Encouraging camping” rather than driving each day.
- In addition, “Carpoochella” is for the purpose of rewarding four or more people who arrive in the same vehicle
- Work with food vendors for vegan meals.
- As part of the “TRASHed Coachella” initiative, invited all skilled artists to transform regular recycling rubbish cans into works of art.
- Along with partnering with the Galilee Center, to encourage people in donating food and materials to support the basic needs of the locals.
What can you do to enjoy Coachella sustainably?
- Challenge your creativity by reusing the clothes you already have in your closet.
- Eat a hearty breakfast to curb snacking habits during the festival
- Spill the tea while enjoying “carpooling” with your friends.
- Minimize your footprint: consider camping, taking a shuttle, and bringing a reusable water bottle.
- Respect the signage and use our recycle and compost containers provided.
To summarize, Coachella is a dream come true music festival that everyone wants to attend. It is a place where people can be themselves and express their emotions freely. However, it would be better if we were fully aware of our actions for the purpose of creating a better society. With minimal effort, you can enjoy Coachella without contributing to extreme levels of waste.
Editor’s Note: The opinions expressed here by Impakter.com columnists are their own, not those of Impakter.com. — In the Featured Photo: Celebrities at Coachella Featured Photo Credit: Page SIx.