Chief Sustainability Officer
Stock Exchange and Ticker
T: (852) 3121 8888
- Ranked 32nd in the 2021 Forbes “Global 2000 – The World’s Largest Public Companies”
- Titanium Award in the “ESG Corporate Awards 2021” held by The Asset
- “Honored Companies” award in the 2021 “All-Asia Executive Team” selection hosted by Institutional Investor
- “Asia’s Icon on ESG” award in the “16th Asian ESG Award 2021” held by Corporate Governance Asia
- “Best Investor Relations Company”, “Best CSR”, “Best Corporate Communications” and other awards in the “11th Asian Excellence Award 2021” held by Corporate Governance Asia
- The Parent Company won the highest government award for charity in China, the 11th China Charity Award
- Enlisted as the only telecommunications operator in the 2nd Global Best Poverty Reduction Practices selection
- Listed for the fourth time in the climate change “A List” of CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project)
- “2021 China’s Best Employers – Top 10” and “Most Popular Employers Among University Students – Top 10” awards at the “China’s Best Employers for the Year” selection co-hosted by Zhaopin.com and the Center for Social Research of Peking University
- TM Forum Sustainability Excellence Award 2022
China Mobile Sustainability Report
Evaluation of China Mobile
The business does not set and make progress toward clear objectives. Despite a decrease in CO2 emissions, there was an increase in sulphur dioxide emissions and the amount of hazardous and non-hazardous waste being dumped in landfills. Along with ISO 26000, it lacks other certificates as well. Furthermore, it lacks a chief sustainability officer. Although it has won some awards, most of them are at the national level. It does, however, adhere to some SDGs in some of its practices. In order for the company to be sustainable, there is a lack of transparency, thorough reporting, and clear goals.
China Mobile Company Activity
The Company provides full communications services in all 31 provinces, autonomous regions and directly-administered municipalities throughout the mainland of China and in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Its businesses primarily consist of mobile voice and data business, wireline broadband, and other information and communications services. The Company’s ultimate controlling shareholder is China Mobile Communications Group Co., Ltd. (“the Parent Company”), which, as of December 31, 2021, indirectly held 72.72% of the total number of issued shares of the Company. The remaining 27.28% were held by public investors.
China Mobile Sustainability Activity - As per company declarations
The company’s sustainability activity covers three areas namely “Digital-Intelligent Innovation”, “Inclusive Growth” and “Green and Low-Carbon Operations”. The main actions are streamlined to align with the three dimensions of our CSR philosophy, namely economy, society and environment, taking sustainability trends into account.
Certificate & Labels, Standards and Frameworks
- ISO 26000
China Mobile in the news: Press Reviews and Social Media
China Mobile, Ericsson partner on 5G disaster relief – Ericsson, 26 August 2022
China Mobile Zhejiang is teaming-up with Ericsson and other partners to deploy 5G technology in public-safety-focused natural disaster management in China. Aiming to provide key insights and support for the development and validation of core applications by combining respective emergency communication practices, digital twin use cases, and network slicing technologies while jointly building 5G network connectivity.
Green 5G solutions can help meet global carbon neutral goals (Analyst Angle) – Saadi, 21 February 2022
The Green 5G Project launched by China Mobile and Huawei in 2021 has reduced their environmental impact and will help the company achieve its sustainability goals. China Mobile has already managed to reduce its network energy consumption by 50%.
Highlights from China Mobile Sustainability Report
- China Mobile has already managed to reduce its network energy consumption by 50%
Weaknesses and Setbacks
- Weak sustainability report
- Minimal Goals & Targets
- Increase in hazardous waste produced from 17.8 thousand tonnes in 2020 to 21 thousand tonnes in 2021
- Increase in non-hazardous solid waste produced from 63.2 thousand tonnes in 2020 to 76.7 thousand tonnes in 2021
- Increase in Sulphur Dioxide emissions, increasing from 9.28 tonnes in 2019 to 11.36 in 2021
Targets vs Progress Reported
|We aim to cut energy consumption intensity and carbon emission intensity by no less than 20% by the end of the 14th FYP period||- Total CO2 emissions have slightly decreased from 34.15 million tonnes in 2020, their first year of recording CO2 emissions, to 33.82 in 2021|