Manufacture of electronic components and boards
Chief Sustainability Officer
Stock Exchange and Ticker
T: +1 408-749-4000
- #39 Canada’s Best Employers (2023)
- #231 World’s Best Employers (2022)
- #564 Global 2000 (2022)
- #103 America’s Best Employers (2021)
- #55 Just Companies (2021)
- AMD’s primary wafer supplier Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company is the only one chosen for Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for 21 consecutive years.
- 100 Best Corporate Citizens 2022
- Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality by Corporate Equality Index
- Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index 2022
- CDP Supplier Engagement Leader 2021
- Silver for ecovadis sustainability rating 2022
- Prime Corporate ESG Performance rated by ISS ESG
AMD Sustainability Report
Evaluation of AMD
AMD has been very transparent in their sustainability reporting where they have clearly mentioned their ESG targets and progress as well as their United Nations SDG compliance. The company is on track with their sustainability goals and has formed various partnerships to aid technology for sustainability and scholarships for education and scientific research. No controversies regarding their sustainability measures were found. AMD has also obtained several sustainability awards which recognize their efforts. Hence, the company has achieved a B rating.
AMD Company Activity
AMD is a global semiconductor company that designs and delivers products for four primary markets:
- Client, which primarily includes microprocessors, accelerated processing units that integrate microprocessors and graphics, and chipsets for desktop and notebook personal computers
- Gaming, which primarily includes discrete GPUs, semi-custom SoC products and development services
- Data Center, which primarily includes server microprocessors, GPUs, FPGAs and adaptive SoC products for data centers
- Embedded, which primarily includes embedded microprocessors, FPGAs, adaptive SoC products and ACAP products
For more than 50 years AMD has driven innovation in high-performance computing, graphics and visualization technologies. AMD employees are focused on building leadership high-performance and adaptive products that push the boundaries of what is possible. Billions of people, leading Fortune 500 businesses and scientific research institutions around the world rely on AMD technology daily to improve how they live, work and play.
AMD Sustainability Activity - As per company declarations
AMD’s approach is grounded in business ethics, security and transparency. The company continues to map their priority issues to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, showing how advancing their key initiatives helps to address global challenges. AMD embraces strategic industry partnerships and cross-sectoral collaborations to help advance technological solutions for the issues the industry and society at large are facing. Through ESG executive leadership, cross-functional team coordination, transparent disclosure and external stakeholder engagement, AMD can set clear objectives, track progress and promote accountability.
Certificate & Labels, Standards and Frameworks
- ISO 14001
- ISO 45001
- ISO 50001
- Energy Star
- AMD’s TSMC supplier received platinum certification for 3 consecutive years to Alliance Water Stewardship (AWS)
AMD in the news: Press Reviews and Social Media
After searching for articles related to AMD’s sustainability, only articles, similar to the one below, that describes their sustainability measures could be found. Negative articles related to AMD’s sustainability or controversies were not found.
The article highlights AMD’s sustainability measures like focussing partnerships with universities to aid AI research and scholarship programs for technical education.
Highlights from AMD Sustainability Report
- 27.8 million people benefits from AMD and AMD Foundation philanthropy and partnerships that enable STEM education, scientific research and the workforce of the future.
- In 2021, AMD achieved a 25 percent reduction in their scope 1 and 2 emissions.
- In 2021, 74 percent of AMD’s manufacturing suppliers sourced renewable energy.
- One of the most energy-efficient supercomputers in the world (number 3 on the Green500 List – June 2022) is powered by AMD technology and is being used to advance climate research.
- 50 percent reduction in water use.
- 94% OF AMD’s employees are proud to work for them.
Weaknesses and Setbacks
- Details of scope 3 emissions were not clear.
Targets vs Progress Reported
- 100 million people to benefit through AMD and AMD Foundation philanthropy and partnerships that enable STEM education, scientific research and the workforce of the future (2020-2025)
|- In 2020 and 2021, more than 30 institutions received AMD technology through the HPC Fund and their STEM initiatives, benefiting approximately 27.8 million people|
- 50 percent reduction in absolute GHG emissions from AMD operations by 2030 (base year 2020)
- 30x increase in energy efficiency for AMD processors and accelerators powering servers for artificial intelligence-training and highperformance computing from 2020-2025
- 100 percent of AMD manufacturing suppliers have public emissions reduction goals by 2025
- 80 percent of AMD manufacturing suppliers source renewable energy by 2025
- Product Packaging
|- In 2021, AMD achieved a 25 percent reduction in their scope 1 and 2 emissions
- In 2021, AMD achieved a 3.9x increase, and midway through 2022 reached a 6.8x improvement in energy efficiency compared to 2020
- In 2021, 74 percent of AMD’s manufacturing suppliers have public GHG goals
- In 2021, 74 percent of AMD’s manufacturing suppliers sourced renewable energy
- In 2021, AMD continued to reduce the size of their packaging for select Ryzen PIBs by an average of 50 percent compared to the previous generation
- By May 2021, AMD reduced the size of their packaging for Radeon PRO (W6800) graphics cards by up to 59 percent compared to the previous generation (W5700)
- All of AMD’s packaging in 2021 was made of recyclable materials, such as paperboard. AMD’s packaging designers continuously seek out environmentally preferable packing materials, including recycled materials and non-toxic dyes
|Advanced Sustainable Computing||- One of the most energy-efficient supercomputers in the world (number 3 on the Green500 List – June 2022) is powered by AMD technology and is being used to advance climate research
- Powered by 3rd generation AMD EPYC™ CPUs and AMD MI250 Instinct™ GPUs (A+A), it uses 100 percent renewable energy, with up to 200 megawatts available
- Free cooling is possible year-round, and LUMI’s waste heat produces approximately 20 percent of the district heat for the area, reducing the city’s carbon emissions by an estimated 12,400 metric tons per year
|Operational Performance Summary of 2021 (compared to 2020 base year)||- 12 percent reduction in energy consumption
- 25 percent reduction in GHG emissions
- 50 percent reduction in water use
- 14 percent reduction in waste generated (85 percent landfill diversion rate in 2021 for non-hazardous waste)
|Supply Chain Responsibility
- 100 percent of AMD supplier manufacturing factories to have a Responsible Business Alliance (RBA) audit or equivalent by 2025
- 80 percent of AMD manufacturing suppliers by spend to participate in a capacity-building activity by 2025.
|- Between 2020 and 2021, 64 percent of manufacturing supplier factories had an RBA audit
- 61 percent of manufacturing suppliers by spend participated in capacity-building activities in 2021, including ethical recruitment training.
|Diversity, Belonging and Inclusion
- 70 percent of AMD’s employees to participate in AMD employee resource groups and/or other AMD inclusion initiatives by 2025
|- In 2021, 52 percent of AMD employees contributed to activities under this goal due to an increase in ERG membership, employee volunteers and charitable donors
- 94% OF AMD’s employees are proud to work for them
- In 2021, AMD exceeded the hiring goals they set, leading to a 1% increase in the total population of AMD female engineers and a 1.6 percent increase in their URG focus areas overall
|Community Involvement||- Corporate and Employee Giving: AMD provides charitable grants to nonprofit organizations and promote charitable employee matching programs
- AMD Foundation Giving: The AMD Foundation provides grants that support global community initiatives consistent with the company’s interests
- Employee Volunteerism: AMD employees worldwide are encouraged to share their time and talents through community volunteering at AMD-sponsored events and individual activities
- AMD HPC Fund Investments: AMD provides research institutions with high-performance computing (HPC) resources to accelerate research in areas including climate change, health care, transportation, big data and more